Thursday, April 24, 2014

Wild Animal Riddles



*Thanks to Mrs. Hudgens and Mr. McLaughlin for their guesses! The answer to Riddle #1 is beaver, Riddle #2 is polar bear, and Riddle #3 is the grey wolf.

Yesterday, third grade went to Patuxent Research Refuge National Wildlife Visitors Center. The activities we did are a scavenger hunt, wolf presentation, and we felt a beaver! We wrote riddles about animals we learned about at the Wildlife Center. Friends and families, please comment with your guesses! We will announce the answers soon!



Riddle #1:

I slap my tail to warn predators.

I have bacterium in my stomach to digest (my only food) wood fibers.

My closest relative is a platypus.

My babies are called kits.

I live in a lodge like some of my relatives.



Riddle #2:

I have sharp claws.

I’m the biggest land animal in the Arctic.

I have white fur.

I have sharp teeth and strong jaws.

I eat fish and seals.



Riddle #3:

I travel in a pack when I hunt.

I’m in the canine family.

I have about 12 members in my family.

I am bigger than a coyote.

I howl at the moon.

Good Luck! 

3 comments:

  1. Riddle #1: a beaver
    Riddle #2: a polar bear
    Riddle #3: a wolf

    (Ok, I know I have an advantage. It was a fun field trip.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear 3rd Graders,

    These are some tough riddles! I am going to have to think a bit more about the answers to them. Although, I think I might know the answer to Riddle #1: is it a beaver? I am going to be super excited if I'm right because the beaver is also the mascot of my college! That is so nice of you to choose a riddle to describe an animal that means so much to me!

    Keep up the good work, I look forward to reading future posts!

    Sincerely,

    Mr. McLaughlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear 3rd Graders,

    I loved your riddles! They were very creative.

    Sincerely,
    Mara

    ReplyDelete

Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

1. Write your comment below in friendly letter format.
2. Be sure to check your comment for correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
3. Sign your first name and state you live in. If you are related to a student in the class, please share (ex. John’s grandma).
4. Click “Publish” to post your comment. Before it appears on the blog, each comment will be approved by teachers.