Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lessons from the Little Rock Nine

In third grade Social Studies, we have been learning about the different levels of government in the United States. We read the story about the "Little Rock Nine," a brave group of African-Americans who helped to end segregation in schools. We discovered that all three levels of government were involved in the situation in Little Rock. On their tablets, the students were able to watch this short video about the "Little Rock Nine," and then share what they learned from these courageous students.

Here is the video we watched in class (which would also be a great review for the test next week!), and the students' responses follow. We have some very wise third graders!



Little Rock Nine from Daisy Muñoz on Vimeo.



A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to never back down and stand up for yourself. An example of how I can do this is if someone bullies you, stand up for yourself and speak up. -Eden 

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is always be brave. An example of how I can do this is when you see a bully you have to stand up for yourself, and that is being brave.  –Bailey

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is be the change you want to see in the world. An example of how I can do this is stand up for yourself if someone is not being fair at recess. –Sarah

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is don’t let people judge you.  An example of how I can do this is I will not talk about people. –Preston

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to stand up when you’re hurt. An example of how I can do this to not get bullied, hurt, or scared from someone, go tell the nearest teacher. - Kevin

A lesson I learned from Little Rock nine is to be brave. An example of how I can do this is stand up for myself when a bully is in my school. –Mason

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to never give up on anything. An example of how I can do this is if somebody doesn’t want you in something like football, keep trying and then they’ll change their mind. – Jordan

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is never be a follower, always be a leader. An example of how I can do this is if someone does something wrong, don’t follow them or you will get in trouble. – Phillip

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to stand up and be brave.  An example of how I can do this is when someone is not being fair during a game. – Brandon

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to be the change you want to be in world. An example of how I can do this is making posters to help stop pollution. -Branimir

            A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is be the change you want in the world.
An example of how I can do this is to stick up for somebody who is to afraid to stand up for themselves. –Isabel

            The lesson I learned from Little Rock Nine is to be brave. An example of how I can do this is sticking up for myself and others when they are hurt. –Leila

            A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is you should be the change you want to see in the world.  An example of how I can do this is to include people mo matter what, even if the person isn’t your best friend. –Drew

              A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to be brave, not to be scared, and just keep going. An example of how I can do this is to be brave when people are mean when we are playing a game. –Ashton

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to be the change. An example of how I can do this is if everyone is reading a book and you had the choice to read or draw you should still draw. –Natalie

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is that you can make a difference.  An example of how I can do this is to ask the teachers if you can add recycling bins and compost bins in the cafeteria. –Edris

A lesson I learned from the Little Rock Nine is to be the change you want the world to be. An example of how I can do this is to be brave when things get scary. –Rahil

 

6 comments:

  1. Dear Third Graders,

    You all have selected very poignant and thought provoking topic for this week's blog. Historical events do lend themselves to lessons that can be applied in our current lives. You all have done an excellent job identifying. And conveying the lessons learned in the Little Rock Nine video. Good job!

    Mrs. Hudgens

    Dear Bailey,

    Remember, even in the absence of a bully, you must always stand up for yourself and what you believe in!

    Love,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mommy,

      I will never back down.

      love,
      Bailey

      Delete
  2. Dear Bailey,

    Your comments concerning The Little Rock Nine are right on point. You have to be very brave sometimes to stand up for your beliefs. Keep up the good work. You are a smart brave young lady and we are very proud of you.

    Grandma and PawPaw Hudgens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jordan,

    The comment that you made on The Little Rock Nine is correct. You cannot give up. Always continue to try and do your best. Stand up for what you believe in. This is what matters in life. You are a very determined and smart young man. Keep doing the things that you do and you will go far!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Leila,
    Your comments are quite insightful. I am so proud of you and the wisdom that you have in knowing that you are endowed with such individual rights. You have become a very intelligent girl. I look forward to reading future blogs from you.
    Love,
    Grandma Geiger in San Diego, CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rahil,

    You are right on Point! I remember a quote from Nelson Mandela....

    "A brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”

    Wow, you are learning lots of cool stuff.

    Love you,
    Mina Mami

    ReplyDelete

Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

1. Write your comment below in friendly letter format.
2. Be sure to check your comment for correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
3. Sign your first name and state you live in. If you are related to a student in the class, please share (ex. John’s grandma).
4. Click “Publish” to post your comment. Before it appears on the blog, each comment will be approved by teachers.